Diablo 4 Season 2 has brought a slew of exciting new content, including end-game bosses, and one of the most intriguing locations is the Malignant Burrow, which promises Legendary items if you can take out Echo of Varshan. Here, we’ll guide you on the Malignant Burrow Location, and then how to activate it so you can summon them.
Malignant Burrow Diablo 4 Location
To locate the Malignant Burrow, Head to the Tree of Whispers. The Malignant Burrow is situated just East of the Tree of Whispers, which can be found in the Hawezar region of Sanctuary. You should already have the waypoint for the Tree unlocked, making it the easiest way to reach the Malignant Burrow.
Before you even venture off, though, you’ll need to have achieved two prerequisites:
- Complete Main Questline: Access to the Malignant Burrow is only available in the endgame, after completing the main questline of Diablo 4.
- Complete “Whispers of the Dead” Quest: Before you can visit the Malignant Burrow, you need to complete the “Whispers of the Dead” quest, which you’ll receive as part of the endgame content.
Activating Malignant Burrow & Summoning Echo of Varshan Boss
Once you’ve found the Malignant Burrow and fulfilled the prerequisites, you can summon the powerful boss Echo of Varshan. This requires the following materials:
- Gurgling Head
- Blackened Femur
- Trembling Hand
- Malignant Heart (World Tier 4 only)
The Gurgling Head, Blackened Femur, and Trembling Hand can be obtained by opening Whisper Caches, which you can earn by offering 10 Grim Favors to the Tree of Whispers. Grim Favors are rewards for completing various event missions. These materials can also drop as random loot from defeating Grotesque Debtors.
If you prefer, you can craft these body parts at the Alchemist, but it requires specific materials and a Malignant Heart for each part. For example:
- Gurgling Head: Requires four Baleful Fragments.
- Blackened Femur: Requires four Coiling Wards.
- Trembling Hand: Requires four Abstruse Sigils.
- World Tier 4 Requirement: If you intend to fight Echo of Varshan at World Tier 4, you will also need the additional component, the Malignant Heart, which can be obtained from Whisper Caches.
- Summoning Echo of Varshan:
- Once you’ve gathered all the necessary materials, make your way to the Malignant Burrow.
- Inside the burrow, you’ll find the Malignant Altar at the end of the tunnel.
- Interact with the altar and use the collected body parts to summon Echo of Varshan.
- Click the “Summon” button to initiate the boss fight.
Echo of Varshan Boss Fight
Echo of Varshan is a formidable end-game boss, and defeating him can be challenging. In our experience, the key is to watch for his red triangle-shaped area attacks on the ground. Avoid staying in them, as they deal significant damage. Other stuff worth keeping in mind is his other attacks, such as projectiles and tentacle grasps, which are less deadly but still require careful evasion. When you think it’s about to strike, just stay back and play passively. Go for chip damage instead of all-out attacks.
One annoying aspect of this fight is that Varshan will summon elite enemies to regain health. You really need to take them out quickly to prevent him from healing.
If you’re struggling to beat Varshan then farm some XP and level up quickly at our favorite dungeon.
All Echo of Varshan Rewards
Defeating Echo of Varshan comes with rewards, including Legendary items and potentially Unique items from his loot table. Additionally, you may obtain unique cosmetic items like the Fles-Weld Rod Trophy and the Mucus-Slick Egg, which is used to summon Duriel, provided you’re on World Tier Torment.
Hopefully, now you have everything you need to know about the Malignant Burrow location in Diablo 4 Season 2 and face Echo of Varshan.