the game awards nominations

Image source: The Game Awards

It’s that time of the year again. The nominees for The Game Awards 2023 have been revealed, and leading the nominations are Baldur’s Gate 3 and Alan Wake 2, each with eight nominations. Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 follows closely with seven nominations. These titles, along with Resident Evil 4, Super Mario Bros. Wonder, and The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, are also contenders for the Game of the Year award.

A total of 31 awards are available at The Game Awards 2023, with the decision on winners being a combination of votes from a jury, which includes Video Games Chronicle (VGC) and makes up 90% of the vote, and a public fan vote accounting for the remaining 10%.

The event is scheduled for live streaming from the Peacock Theatre in Los Angeles on Thursday, December 7.

Reflecting on last year’s event, the ninth edition showcased an extensive production with live musical acts including an orchestra and artist Hozier, along with celebrity appearances, award presentations, and announcements of new games. You can expect the same this time around, with host Geoff Keighley recently having talked up some big surprises:

Thinking back to last year, announcements included the much-awaited Death Stranding 2 by Hideo Kojima and BioShock creator Ken Levine’s Judas. Additionally, announcements were made for Hades 2, a prequel to Bayonetta, and Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon.

All The Game Awards 2023 Nominations

  • Game of the Year
    • Alan Wake 2 (Remedy Entertainment/Epic Games Publishing)
    • Baldur’s Gate 3 (Larian Studios)
    • Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 (Insomniac Games/SIE)
    • Resident Evil 4 (Capcom)
    • Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Nintendo EPD/Nintendo)
    • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Nintendo EPD/Nintendo)
  • Best Game Direction
    • Alan Wake 2
    • Baldur’s Gate 3
    • Marvel’s Spider-Man 2
    • Super Mario Bros. Wonder
    • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
  • Best Narrative
    • Alan Wake 2
    • Baldur’s Gate 3
    • Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty
    • Final Fantasy XVI
    • Marvel’s Spider-Man 2
  • Best Art Direction
    • Alan Wake 2
    • Hi-Fi Rush
    • Lies of P
    • Super Mario Bros. Wonder
    • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
  • Best Score and Music
    • Alan Wake 2, Petri Alanko
    • Baldur’s Gate 3, Borislav Slavov
    • Final Fantasy XVI, Masayoshi Soken
    • Hi-Fi Rush, Shuichi Kobori
    • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, Nintendo Sound Team
  • Best Audio Design
    • Alan Wake 2
    • Dead Space
    • Hi-Fi Rush
    • Marvel’s Spider-Man 2
    • Resident Evil 4
  • Best Performance
    • Ben Starr, Final Fantasy XVI
    • Cameron Monaghan, STAR WARS Jedi: Survivor
    • Idris Elba, Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty
    • Melanie Liburd, Alan Wake 2
    • Neil Newbon, Baldur’s Gate 3
    • Yuri Lowenthal, Marvel’s Spider-Man 2

This year’s event is expected to maintain the standard set by previous editions, featuring a mix of award presentations, celebrity guests, and new game announcements. The Game Awards continues to be a significant event in the gaming industry, celebrating achievements and advancements in video game entertainment.